Ağa Cafer Paşa Çeşme (Fountain)

In the northwest corner of Namık Kemal Square, to the right of the Venetian facade, is the Ağa Cafer Paşa Fountain, one of the many Ottoman fountains that still adorn Famagusta.  It is believed to have been installed in 1597. Ağa Cafer Paşa was a well-known, 16 century Ottoman governor who set out to improve freshwater distribution to the inhabitants of Famagusta. The Roman sarcophagus is thought to have come from Paphos, moved to the palace by the Venetians.

 

 

 

RETURN TO TRAIL MAP