Carmelite Church

In a field across the road from the Tanners’ Mosque are the ruins of the Carmelite Church. It is here that St. Peter Thomas, Carmelite Friar, Patriarch of Constantinople and papal legate to the East, was buried in 1366. Fragments of the church’s medieval paintings are still visible, showing, where discernible. Late in rather than Orthodox influences. The earliest sections of the church are believed to date from the second quarter of the 14th century.

 

RETURN TO TRAIL MAP